Beta-Lactamase, Extended Spectrum
- Appearance:Freeze dried powder
Beta-lactamases are enzymes produced by bacteria (Also known as Penicillinase) that provide resistance to β-lactam antibiotics such as penicillins, cephamycins, and carbapenems (ertapenem), although carbapenems are relatively resistant to beta-lactamase. Beta-lactamase provides antibiotic resistance by breaking the antibiotics structure.
These antibiotics all have a common element in their molecular structure: a four-atom ring known as a β-lactam. Through hydrolysis, the lactamase enzyme breaks the β-lactam ring open, deactivating the molecule's antibacterial properties.Beta-lactam antibiotics are typically used to treat a broad spectrum of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria. Beta-lactamases produced by Gram-negative organisms are usually secreted, especially when antibiotics are present in the environment.
β-LACTAMASE is a freeze-dried product containing buffer salts and zinc. β-LACTAMASE-BS has a broad spectrum activity of complete inactivation over a broad range of cephalosporins and penicillins.
• Testing sterility of blood cultures - Blood cultures are routinely prepared in order to test for bacterial infection. False negative results might be obtained where the blood sample contains antibiotics. Incorporation of β-Lactamase in the culture medium will overcome this problem when cephalosporins/penicillins are present.
• Testing for contamination of drugs by antibiotics - US Code of Federal regulations states that “If a reasonable possibility exists that a non-penicillin drug product has been exposed to cross-contamination with penicillin, the non-penicillin drug product shall be tested for the presence of penicillin” (21 CFR 211.176, Penicillin Contamination, FDA, BY-Lines No. 8 November 1977).
• Environmental monitoring of antibiotic manufacturing area.
• Sterility testing of Bulk antibiotics as described by US Pharmcopeia (USP) Chapter 71 and EP Section 2.6.
Not for human therapeutic use or for medicinal purposes. For research applications only.
|Handling||Use only in area provided with appropriate exhaust ventilation. Keep away from heat and source of ignition. Empty containers pose a fire risk, evaporate residue under fume hood. Ground all equipment containing material. Do not breathe dust.|