To lead a healthy lifestyle it is essential to eat healthy and exercise regularly. People who exercise regularly would often reach a point during their workout session, where they feel extremely exhausted and could not carry on any further. Fatigue sets in when lactate (a form of Lactic acid) builds up in the muscles. Lactic acid is an end product...
- Antibiotics (ex: Hygromycin, Blasticidin, Neomycin, Geneticin/G-418, Puromycin) abuse is creating a whole new generation of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. As the tolerance to antibiotics grow, so does the battle against bacteria. The struggle continues to become a public issue. Humans are not the only ones trying to fight bacteria, however. Some viruses, the phages, have been doing it for millennia. Since the...
- Biotechnology companies are abundant in Southern California. Here are top 5 biotechnology companies to look forward to working at in any of their numerous locations in the United States. Click the photos to visit these great biotechnology companies' pages. Gilead Sciences Inc. Gilead Sciences is a research-based biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development, and commercialization of innovative medicines. They...
- Rapamycin, also known as sirolimus, is an immunosuppressant drug used to prevent rejection in organ transplantation; it is especially useful in kidney transplants.
- Puromycin N-acetyl transferase gene (pac), of which the gene product catalyzes antibiotic puromycin, an effective inhibitor of protein synthesis, has been widely used as a dominant selection marker in embryonic stem (ES) cell-mediated transgenesis.
- Hygromycin B is an antibiotic used by scientists in bio-research to select cells modified by genetic engineering. It inhibits the growth of a wide range of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells by interfering with protein synthesis. Hygromycin B allows the selection and maintenance of cells expressing the hygromycin-resistance gene.
- Tumor necrosis factorâ€“related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is a promising anticancer agent because it induces apoptosis in cancer cells but not in normal cells.
- Combined treatment with a proteasome inhibitor and tumor necrosis factorâ€“related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is a promising strategy for cancer therapy.
- The PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway is central to cell growth and survival, cell cycle regulation, and programmed cell death.Aberrant activation of this signaling cascade is linked to several disease states, and thus many components of the pathway are attractive targets for therapeutic intervention.
- An immunosuppressant is any substance that performs immunosuppression of the immunedescribe the image system. They may be either exogenous, as immunosuppressive drugs, or endogenous, as, e. g., testosterone. When the immune system function is suppressed, there is an increased susceptibility to infectious diseases and cancers.