Lysozyme, Purified, Salt-Free
- MW:14.388 kDa
- Appearance:Lyophilized powder
Starting at $47.05
Lysozyme (salt-free) is an enzyme with antimicrobial properties. Purified from chicken egg-white (Lysozyme C), it hydrolyzes Beta-1,4 glycosidic links between N-acetylmuramic acid and N-acetylglucosamine residues in mucopeptide cell wall structures found in some microbe species, including Micrococcus lysodeikticus. Lysozyme also displays lesser activity toward chitin oligomers. This enzyme exhibits optimal activity at pH 9.2, and is inhibited by surfactants, including dodecyl sulfate, alcohol, and fatty acids.
Lysozyme hydrolyzes Gram-positive at a greater rate due to the higher amounts of peptidoglycan within the cell walls. Gram-negative cells are less vulnerable to hydrolysis by lysozyme due to the presence of an outer membrane as well as lower amounts of peptidoglycan within the cell walls.
Lysozyme is found in a variety of natural sources, ranging from chicken egg-white, mammalian tissues, saliva, kidneys and more.
• Degrades bacterial cell walls
• Bacterial DNA extractions
• Spheroplast preparation
• MALDI-TOF mass analysis external standard
• ≥8,000 units per mg dry weight (Technical Note: Due to assay differences, 8,000u/mg by AG’s assay is equivalent to 50,000u/mg claimed by other suppliers.)
• EC Number: 235-747-3
|Handling||Ensure adequate ventilation.|