50mM Tris-HCl, 2mM calcium acetate, pH 8.0
This product has been discontinued.
Please see Proteinase K, recombinant (P-1264)
Proteinase K (also known as endopeptidase K) is an extracellular endopeptidase isolated from a culture filtrate of the fungus Tritirachium album limber. This unique fungus can degrade keratin (hence Proteinase “K”) and can grow using the by-product as its sole source of carbon and nitrogen.
The enzyme is stable over a broad temperature and pH range, with optimum activity at 55-65°C and pH 8.0. It’s also stable in high salt concentrations and active in the presence of strong detergents such as SDS. It has a molecular weight of 28.5 kDa and it shows fairly-low specificity for its polypeptide targets.
Features and Benefits of AG’s Proteinase K
• DNAse and RNAse free via chromatography purification
• 6x greater activity than Pronase and 3x greater activity than bovine trypsin
• Broad substrate specificity
• Versatile in blood, cultured cells, tissues, bacteria, yeast, etc.
• Active and stable over a wide range of conditions
• Compatible with most DNA and RNA isolation buffers
Applications in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and Microarray Technologies
• Nucleic acid purification by inactivating nucleases when extracting DNA and RNA from yeast, bacteria, and mammalian cell & plant cell lysates
• Improves cloning efficiency of PCR products
• Sample preparation for quantification of DNA adduct levels by accelerator mass spectrometry
• Inactivation of enzyme cocktails in ribonuclease protection assays
• Added to extraction procedures to optimize RNA yields from primary breast tumors for microarray studies
Applications with Proteins
• Detection of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy proteins which are uniquely resistant to proteolytic degradation.
• Tissue digestion as an alternative sample preparation approach for quantitative analysis using liquid chromatography—tandem mass spectrometry
• Specifically modify cell surface proteins to analyze membrane structures for protein localization
• Generates protein fragments used in characterization of functional studies
• EC Number: 184.108.40.206
Additional Reading from AG Scientific
Not for human therapeutic use or for medicinal purposes. For research applications only.
Research or further manufacturing use only, not for food or drug use.