Calcium Ionophore I: Frequently Asked Questions
AG Scientific is a leading supplier of Calcium Ionophore I (CA 1001). Here we review some of the most frequently asked questions about this powerful ionophore.
What is Calcium Ionophore I?
Calcium Ionophore I (CA 1001) is a neutral ionophore with very high selectivity for Ca2+ ions. CA 1001 determines Ca2+ activity in membrane electrodes and is utilized for transport studies in biological membranes. To put it simply: these small are small, calcium-specific molecules that can carry ions across membranes.
Are there alternative names for this ionophore?
- CA 1001
- Calcium Ionophore
- Calcium ionophore I
- ETH 1001
- CAS 58801-34-6
- ethyl 12-[[2-[(2R,3R)-3-[2-[(12-ethoxy-12-oxododecyl)-methylamino]-2-oxoethoxy]butan-2-yl]oxyacetyl]-methylamino]dodecanoate
- 1,34-diethyl ester, 13,17R,18R,22-tetramethyl-14,21-dioxo-16,19-dioxa-13,22-diazatetratriacontanedioic acid
- (−)-(R,R)-N,N′-Bis-[11-(ethoxycarbonyl)undecyl]-N,N′,4,5-tetramethyl-3,6-dioxaoctane-diamide, Diethyl N,N′-[(4R,5R)-4,5-dimethyl-1,8-dioxo-3,6-dioxaoctamethylene]bis(12-methylaminododecanoate)
What is the chemical formula?
What is the molecular weight of CA 1001?
Is CA 1001 soluble?
This ionophore is soluble in DMSO as well as ethanol.
What are the recommended storage and handing instructions?
Calcium ionophore I should be stored in a tightly sealed vial and kept dry at -20°C. Handle in accordance with good industrial hygiene and safety practice.
What is the Mechanism of Action?
Ionophores act by binding to and transporting specific ions across biological membranes. These types of chemicals have both a hydrophilic and hydrophobic portion, essentially dissolving and reappearing on the other side of an otherwise impermeable membrane. CA 1001 is designed specifically to transport calcium ions. CA 1001 has a high selectivity, allowing it to detect Ca2+ activity in membrane electrodes, making it a great option for use in medical devices and studies on calcium transport.
What are the applications of CA 1001?
Calcium ionophores are used in microelectrodes, medical devices and in scientific research. This includes research on male infertility treatments and the development of diagnostic testing for diabetes. Read more about the applications of CA 1001 in medical devices!
- Used in the laboratory as an artificial calcium ion carrier that transports ions across a membrane
- Acts as a fill solution in conductivity meters, specifically those used to detect calcium levels
- Ion-Selective Electrodes (ISE)
Can Calcium Ionophores improve clinical diagnostics?
Yes! Say, for example, you are feeling dehydrated and you go in for a check-up with your doctor. Your doctor will need to know the Ca2+ levels in your blood before advising care. After removing a sample of your blood, any normal biochemical analyzer can take 5-6 minutes to record the results. But just as quickly, that same blood sample can change as certain factors and co-factors may become adjusted or degraded due to the changing environmental conditions.
Because ISE electrodes maintain selective permeability of the ion, they take less than one minute to get an answer on any particular sample. This near instantaneous reporting gives to doctors and hospitals the ability to improve their diagnostics capability, readability and the accuracy of results from blood work.
What does this product look like?
AG Scientific's Calcium Ionophore I is supplied as a tan, highly viscous oil.
- Calcium Ionophore CA 1001: Applications in Medical Devices
- Ionophores: Ion Carriers and Channels for Membrane Transport
- Polyether Ionophore Antibiotics