Puromycin continues to be applied for genomic purposes. Continuing our puromycin series is a protocol on double nickase transfection.Puromycin continues to be applied for genomic purposes. Continuing our puromycin series is a protocol on double nickase transfection.
PHASE 1. Double Nickase TransfectionThis protocol is recommended for a single well from a 6-well tissue culture plate. Adjust cell and reagent amounts proportionately for wells or dishes of different sizes.
- In a 6-well tissue culture plate seed 1.5 x 105 - 2.5 x 105 cells in 3 ml of antibiotic-free standard growth medium per well, 24 hours prior to transfection. Grow cells to a 40-80% confluency. Initial cell seeding and cell confluency after 24 hours are determined based on the rate of cell growth of the cells used for transfection. Healthy and subconfluent cells are required for successful Double Nickase Plasmid transfection.
- Prepare the following solutions:
- Add the Plasmid DNA solution (Solution A) dropwise directly to the dilute UltraCruz Transfection Reagent (Solution B) using a pipette. Vortex immediately and incubates for no less than 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Prior to transfection, replace media with fresh antibiotic-free growth medium. Add the 300 µl Plasmid DNA/Transfection Reagent Complex (Solution A + Solution B) dropwise to well.
- Gently mix by swirling the plate.
- Incubate the cells for 24-72 hours under conditions normally used to culture the cells. No media replacement is necessary during the first 24 hours post-transfection. Add or replace media as needed 24-72 hours post-transfection.
PHASE 2. Puromycin SelectionAfter incubation, successfully transfected cells can be selected with standard growth medium containing puromycin (selective medium). The working puromycin concentration for mammalian cell lines ranges from 1-10 µg/ml. Prior to using the puromycin antibiotic, titrate the selection agent to determine the optimal concentration for target cell line. Use the lowest concentration that kills 100% of non-transfected cells in 3-5 days from the start of puromycin selection. It may be necessary to expand the transfected cells into a larger vessel 24-72 hours post-transfection and prior to puromycin selection. For adherent cells, use standard growth medium to replate in a larger vessel. Once cells are adherent, aspirate and replace medium with selective medium containing puromycin at the appropriate concentration.
- Select cells for a minimum of 3-5 days. Approximately every 2-3 days, aspirate and replace with freshly prepared selective medium.
- Cells may be assayed at this point.
- For cells transfected with Double Nickase Plasmid, assay cells 24-72 hours after transfection step, and/or after puromycin selection.
- For RT-PCR analysis isolate RNA using the method described by P. Chomczynski and N. Sacchi (1987). Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal. Biochem. 162: 156-159) or a commercially available RNA isolation kit.
- Blotto A (for general use): 1x TBS, 5% milk, 0.05% Tween-20. Available Pre-made.
- Blotto B (for use with anti-phosphotyrosine antibodies): 1x TBS, 1% milk, 1% BSA, 0.05 Tween-20. In some cases, milk may be left out entirely, but this will result in somewhat higher backgrounds. Available pre-made. For all phospho-specific antibodies: Add 0.01% (v/v) of each Phosphatase Inhibitor Cocktail to inhibit phosphatase activity.
- Diaminobenzidine tetrahydrochloride (DAB): Dissolve 5 mg DAB in 100 ml 100 mM Tris-HCl, pH 7.6, and add 0.1 ml 0.3% hydrogen peroxide. Prepare fresh DAB solution daily.
- Electrophoresis buffer (2X): 100mM 2-(N-Morpholino)- ethanesulfonic acid(MES), 10 mM Na EDTA, 15% glycerol, 1.5% SDS, 0.3% Triton X-100, 100mM TCEP-HCL, 7.5 mM DTT, 0.0025% Bromophenol Blue. Available pre-made.
- Phosphate buffered saline (1x PBS): 9.1 mM dibasic sodium phosphate, 1.7 mM monobasic sodium phosphate, and 150 mM NaCl. Adjust pH to 7.4 with NaOH. Available pre-made in liquid and powder forms
- RIPA Lysis Buffer: 1x PBS, 1% Nonidet P-40 or Igepal CA-630, 0.5% sodium deoxycholate, 0.1% SDS. This may be made in large volumes. Add inhibitors at time of use from the following stock solutions. Available pre-made.
- Subbing solution: 0.3% (w/v) gelatin, 0.05% chromium potassium sulfate in distilled H2O.
- Tris buffered saline (1x TBS): 10 mM Tris-HCl, pH 7.4; 150 mM NaCl. Available pre-made in liquid form.