- MW:28,500 Da
- Appearance:White to off-white lyophilized solid
Starting at $100.00
Proteinase K (also known as endopeptidase K) is an extracellular endopeptidase isolated from a culture filtrate of the fungus Tritirachium album limber. This unique fungus can degrade keratin (hence Proteinase “K”) and can grow using the by-product as its sole source of carbon and nitrogen.
The enzyme is stable over a broad temperature and pH range, with optimum activity at 55-65°C and pH 8.0. It’s also stable in high salt concentrations and active in the presence of strong detergents such as SDS. It has a molecular weight of 28.5 kDa and it shows fairly-low specificity for its polypeptide targets.
Features and Benefits of AG’s Proteinase K
• DNAse and RNAse free via chromatography purification
• 6x greater activity than Pronase and 3x greater activity than bovine trypsin
• Broad substrate specificity
• Versatile in blood, cultured cells, tissues, bacteria, yeast, etc.
• Active and stable over a wide range of conditions
• Compatible with most DNA and RNA isolation buffers
Applications in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) and Microarray Technologies
• Nucleic acid purification by inactivating nucleases when extracting DNA and RNA from yeast, bacteria, and mammalian cell & plant cell lysates
• Improves cloning efficiency of PCR products
• Sample preparation for quantification of DNA adduct levels by accelerator mass spectrometry
• Inactivation of enzyme cocktails in ribonuclease protection assays
• Added to extraction procedures to optimize RNA yields from primary breast tumors for microarray studies
Applications with Proteins
• Detection of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy proteins which are uniquely resistant to proteolytic degradation.
• Tissue digestion as an alternative sample preparation approach for quantitative analysis using liquid chromatography—tandem mass spectrometry
• Specifically modify cell surface proteins to analyze membrane structures for protein localization
• Generates protein fragments used in characterization of functional studies
• EC Number: 18.104.22.168
Additional Reading from AG Scientific
Not for human therapeutic use or for medicinal purposes. For research applications only.
|Handling||Use only in area provided with appropriate exhaust ventilation. Keep away from heat and source of ignition. Empty containers pose a fire risk, evaporate residue under fume hood. Ground all equipment containing material. Do not breathe dust.|